How to use RainMachine with Amazon Echo Alexa
How to use RainMachine (released 2015 and up) with Amazon Echo Alexa
What is Amazon Echo Alexa
Amazon Echo is a hands-free speaker you control with your voice.
Echo connects to the Alexa Voice Service, to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more—instantly.
All you have to do is ask.
Configure Alexa to discover RainMachine
- Update your RainMachine device to the latest firmware version 4.0.631 and up
- Connect Amazon Echo and RainMachine to the same WiFi network
- Use the voice command:
- Or you can access Amazon Echo web application at http://echo.amazon.com. Login and go to "Settings - Connected Home - Discover Devices"
Note: Alexa will discover as "devices" all your RainMachine programs and zones and use their custom names to address them.
- SUCCESS - Alexa will respond with the number of "devices" discovered. This number is a sum of your RainMachine scheduled programs plus each individual zone (see fig.1 and fig.2 below).
- ERROR - Alexa will respond that the "devices" could not be discovered. Please ensure that your RainMachine is on the same WiFi network as Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo server is enabled under RainMachine settings (see chapter 4).
Voice control your RainMachine
Use voice commands to manually turn ON and OFF a program and an individual zone by calling it's own custom name.
Note: For this you can use either "turn" or "switch" as the trigger word.
|Wake word||Action trigger||Utterance||Program or Zone name|
Example: Your RainMachine has one scheduled program with the custom name set by you as: "Flowers" and the Zone 4 is renamed by you as "Tulips"
START voice command
to START the program "Flowers" use the voice command:
to START the zone "Tulips" use the voice command:
Note: Alexa utterance (voice interface) must be used into the voice command. In our case "program" when we want to control (start/stop) a RainMachine scheduled program and "zone" when we want to (start/stop) an individual RainMachine watering zone.
STOP voice command
to STOP the program "Flowers" use the voice command:
to STOP the zone "Tulips" use the voice command:
Enable/Disable Alexa server
- Login to RainMachine web application located at my.rainmachine.com
- Click on RainMachine device name from the list
- Go to Settings - System Settings
- Scroll down to Advanced Settings
- Check the Amazon Echo Alexa Integration option and click the button "CHANGE"
- It is required to REBOOT your RainMachine device in order to apply this change.
- Done. Note: As of today (Mar 17, 2016) you can enable or disable Amazon Echo Alexa server on your RainMachine device using only the web application interface